Creative Handmade Christmas Ornament Ideas not just for Your Christmas Tree but for Special Keepsakes and DIY Gifts
One of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions is spending time together making fun and unique Christmas Ornaments. So, each year we invite our friends over to share the afternoon with some cider or mulled wine and everybody brings their own unique DIY Christmas Ornament ideas for us all to try.
Over the years, we have made so many different types of ornaments from Yarn Wrapped Christmas Trees to Shrinky Dink Ornaments and Marbled Glass Globes.
This year, I was researching some new ornament ideas for our holiday crafting day and it occurred to me that I need to do an article to showcase the creative ways that you guys decorate your Christmas trees!
So, I found a wide variety of different Christmas ornaments to make not only for your tree but also to give as a DIY Gift and Keepsake.
And remember, personalized ornaments made with family photos are an extra special gift idea for Grandparents.
Finally, if you are a hobby or small business crafter selling on the Art and Craft Fair or Festival circuit, you’re sure to find some inspiring ideas for Christmas ornaments to make and sell.
I’ll be updating this list annually so make sure and check back every holiday season to see which fun, new ornament ideas I have found for you!
Also, be sure to have a look at Christmas Craft & Decor Ideas, DIY Christmas Wreath with Ball Ornaments and DIY Christmas Wreath Ideas articles.
My alltime favorite handmade ornaments are still the Alcohol Ink Ornaments we made a few years ago.
How Do You Hang Christmas Ornaments?
There are lots of creative ways to hang your special handmade Christmas ornaments on the tree. The simplest way is to use special wire ornament hangers or hooks. They’re super easy to use and very inexpensive.
Also, another great option for hanging your ornaments is to use colorful, fabric ribbon. These can be tied into a little bow, making your ornament even more festive!
Popular supplies for making Christmas Ornaments
we may receive a small commission. See full Disclosure here for details.
- Clear Glass Globe Ornaments
- Ornament Hooks and Hangers
- Paintable Wood Ornaments
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glitter Glue Sticks
Now, without further ado, I hope you enjoy all of these creative and unique DIY Christmas Ornament Ideas. A huge THANK YOU to the wonderful crafters for allowing me to share their ideas.
1. Embroidered Kid’s Art Christmas Ornament
2. Easy Burlap Angel Ornament
3. Embroidered Family Photo Ornament
4. DIY Yarn Ball Ornament
5. Unique Wine Cork Sled Ornament
6. Dollar Store Snowball Ornament
7. DIY Walnut Reindeer Tree Ornament
by Red Ted Art
8. Personalized Christmas Tree Ornament
by Organized 31
9. Christmas Candy Cane Ornaments
10. Unique Handmade Ombre Glitter Ornaments
11. Decoupage DIY Christmas Ornament Idea
12. Salt Dough Handprint Ornament
by Mommy Moment
13. Glass Ornaments Painted with Alcohol Inks
14. Wooden Christmas Tree Ornaments
by Mommy Moment
15. Christmas Wish Ornaments
16. Silhouette Cameo Ornaments
17. Embossed Wood Slice Ornaments
18. Glitter Salt Dough Ornaments
by The Best Ideas For Kids
19. Pink and Gold Glitter Globe Ornaments
by Mommy Moment
20. DIY Mercury Glass Ornaments
21. Glass Globe Ornament with Pine Greenery
22. DIY Paper Christmas Tree Ornament
23. Keepsake Lace DIY Ornament
24. Jingle Bell Ornaments
25. Miniature Gingerbread Ornaments
26. Quilted Christmas Ornaments
27. Christmas Tree Bird Houses
28. DIY Farmhouse Ornament
29. Handmade Felt Reindeer Ornaments
by Fleece Fun
30. 3D Christmas Tree Ornaments
31. Keepsake Photo Globe Ornament
32. Unique Christmas Ornaments made with Jenga Blocks
33. Wine Cork Angel Christmas Ornament
How Do You Decorate Clear Ornaments?
There are so many different ways that you can decorate clear ornaments, whether they are made of glass or shatterproof plastic.
You can decorate the outside with acrylic paints, alcohol inks, stickers and yarn or you can pour the paints inside the ornament for a marbled look.
Also, it is fun to fill the inside with glitter, pine needles or little mints and candies.